Grand Canyon Hotel opened
its doors in January 1891 and is the
oldest hotel in Arizona. Williams
was a logging, ranching, mining and
fur-trapping town. In 1901 the
Santa Fe railroad opened a spur up
to the Grand Canyon making Williams
"The Gate Way to the Grand Canyon".
The Grand Canyon Hotel
was the only hotel close to the
The hotel has and continues to host
many guests from all over the world.
Last year alone we had guest from 54
different countries. We
display the guest registers from
1904 and in these registers are such
famous guests as General Pershing
(who was a Captain at the time), The
Vanderbilts. The King of Siam
and John Muir (founder of the Sierra
Club) who stayed here 4 times.
Other guest registered from the 40's
and 50's reveal the rooms were
rented more than once the same night
The hotel closed about 1970 after
interstate 40 by passed Williams and
sat empty for 35 years. Amy
and Oscar Fredrickson purchased the
hotel in 2004 and started the
complete remodel re-opening for
business in June of 2005.
Including all new electric,
plumbing, painting and roof.